Saturday, February 13, 2016

shown up by my kid


My 11 year old said, "Mom, I think I want a rabbit doll. I'm going to make one." And now I confess to something a little bit selfish and terrible. At that moment, instead of being happy that she is sharing my love of handcraft, I thought something like "errrrrrgh, I'm kind of busy and she's going to want to use my Katy Kitty pattern and then modify it and I don't have time to help her with all that right now".

Well, she didn't need my help. She came to me for nothing.
*Cat's In The Cradle is now playing softly in the background of this post.*



She drafted the whole bunny pattern from scratch, worked out how everything would go together and cut all the pieces from fleece. She designed the clothes, which are removable. Several nights in a row she was sitting in the living room floor hand sewing the whole thing together while her sister played Xbox. I actually kind of took over when she got to the very last part and showed her how to gather and hem the skirt because I was feeling, yes, a bit left out.

Serves me right.
Isn't her rabbit doll cute?

32 comments:

  1. That is just incredible! All those details! She certainly had her thinker going. You must be so proud of her! What an amazingly cute bunny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Grandma G, I keep looking at it and thinking how cool it is. Proud mama.

      Delete
  2. She is awesome!You must be so proud of her. Like mother like daughter.Can't wait till she starts designing patterns for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This child has a future at this. I will enter no contest against her. When does her etsy shop open ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This child has a future at this. I will enter no contest against her. When does her etsy shop open ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's more than cute- it's fantastic! What an adorable bunny. I love how interesting it is. I think my favorite part is the pink on the long ears. Awww nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jules, thank you! I love that she did a completely original design. I actually think I'd like to try her design of the head on a softie of my own.

      Delete
  6. Well look who passed her talent down to her offspring??? So awesome!!! Please tell her how awesome I think she is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, Jessica, she's as pleased as punch about this post and her ears turned pink when I read all these comments.

      Delete
  7. Such character in her bunny too, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is adorable, both the rabbit and your daughters patients and talent. Isn't it wonderful when they want to do something that we love to do. You are a blessed person

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, I have two daughter's Larissa.
    I guess you did not see that fine print in the birth contract.... that says, your girls will grow up to be better than you. haha
    I did not notice that either....
    This bunbun is adorbs. I love her and the skirt. Well done all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, Rosemary, that's funny! NO I didn't see that fine print on the contract. Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  10. Serves you right, you mean ole mom :-D !!! I have thought the exact same thing many times and then thought boy am I selfish! I guess we're all human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, ScrapaDiddle, serves me right. ;-) I'm as human as they come! All glory to God.

      Delete
  11. Truly the apple does not fall far from the tree. How very proud you must be, your daughter did an amazing job! The doll is lovely, so creative and special! Great job to your daughter and kudos to you for allowing her to do it herself! Not so easy to do sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SuzyMcQ, I keep picking up the doll and thinking I'll steal some of her ideas. har.

      Delete
  12. She's absolutely gorgeous and just like a rabbit! So well done!! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whaaat!? No it isn't good. It's fan-flipping-tastic! She is very talented and clearly apple fell close to the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catching up and saw this darling rabbit. Love the expressive eyes. Is she ready to publish?

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!